Thursday, February 2, 2012

Water

I consider myself pretty environmentally friendly. I turn off lights, unplug power strips, use re-useable bags when I shop but when it comes to water, sometimes I just cant help but be wasteful.  I love a hot shower, it doesn't matter how big the water heater I will empty it in one go. I can stand under the magical flow and go into a little snooze as the water just fills me with warmth. My old skin gets so dry and I'm keeping lotion companies from bankruptcy but I can't stop.  I have the exhaust fan on and yet the room fills with steam, which is just an added benefit in my opinion. When I'm done I wrap myself in a fuzzy towel and just stand there breathing in the steam and feeling the warmth as my body warms the towel. I know my water bill would be a bit less painful if I'd stop this habit, but I doubt I will anytime soon. My mother would tell you this is a habit I've had from early childhood. I would play in the bath or the kitchen sink for hours. She loves to tell people how she could go on with her motherly duties of cooking and laundry as long as I had some water to play with. It would probably shock me to know just how many gallons I've wasted over the years. In 1972 we got a swimming pool which saved many hours on the garden hose but I'd still let the bath fill up, get cold then drain and fill it again after swimming all day. I've been found staring into the washing machine, watching streams flow by and my favorite spot on earth so far is Niagara Falls.  I find it odd that I don't like to drink water more than I do. "They" say the water will run out someday.. I hope I'm long gone before then.  I wonder if  Buddah is right.. I'd like to come back as a dolphin.

No comments:

Post a Comment